Keweenaw County Courthouse
Built in 1866 and renovated in 1925, the Courthouse is one of the most architecturally and historically important buildings in Keweenaw County. Located where M-26 bends west after the falls and bridge, continue up the hill for one block. Open weekdays.
Community Center & Eagle River Museum.
Constructed in 1912 as a school, the building houses the Township offices and meeting room, and the Eagle River Museum which is operated by the Keweenaw County Historical Society.
This facility can be rented. Contact the clerk at 906-337-1970
Eagle River Falls
As you pass over the M-26 bridge across the Eagle River gorge, park and look upstream for a view of the waterfall and the old dam of the Lake Superior Fuse Company.
Eagle River Beach
Travel down mainstreet and turn right to the Eagle River Beach. There are picnic tables and a public changing room/restroom facility at the beach.
First of two Historic bridges
Now with a parking lot and a walking path to view Eagle River Falls.
The Second of the two Historical bridges
Pedestrian bridge with picnic tables
Historic mining town, church, blacksmith shop and general store. Lodging available nearby.
Located just North of the Phoenix Store and church.
The Cliff mine was the first successful copper mine in the Copper Country. The mine was located off US-41south of Eagle River on Cliff Drive. Mining began in 1845 The copper was loaded on boats at a large dock at the mouth of the Eagle River. The Cliff was the most productive copper mine in the United States from 1845 through 1854. Large-scale mining stopped in 1878.
Eagle River Historic District
The district includes structures dating from the 1840s and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The County Courthouse, County Garage, Sheriff’s Office, and the Houghton Township Community Center are contributing properties
Central Mine Historic District
The district is located off US 41 north of Phoenix. The mine itself was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1958, while the surrounding district was designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1973 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974
Eagle River Cemetery (also known as Evergreen Cemetery)
M-26, south of Eagle River, Michigan Historic Site No. 581. The initial cemetery was plotted in 1858 with graves dated before then.
Lots are available for purchase at the cemetery. Call the Houghton Township office at 906-337-1970 .
Emil Dyni Deer Park
M-26 on east side of Eagle River. The park has public vault toilets, picnic tables and potable water, and is a major tourist attraction in the winter.
Outside of all the history Eagle River has to offer, there are also great places to shop, eat, and stay.
Phoenix General Store, currently the township’s only store and place to buy gas.
Cliff View Bar & Cabins, Phoenix, popular stop for ATVs, snowmobilers, and hunters.
Vansville Bar, Phoenix (temporarily closed for extensive renovations.)
Fitzgerald’s Hotel & Restaurant, Eagle River, popular fine dining on the Lake Superior shore and the only hotel in the township.
The Jam Lady, Eagle River, family-owned jam maker and shop which has operated for over 50 years.
Gitche Gumee Bible Camp, The Upper Peninsula's "Ultimate Christian Getaway”, was established in 1930 by Rev. John Rader and attracts people from all over the country.